THE GRIFFON BRUXELLOIS CLUB|
GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS
All members of The Griffon Bruxellois Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
© The Kennel Club, September 2008
In addition, members of the Griffon Bruxellois Club agree to abide by the following breed-specific Code of Ethics.
15) All breeding will be primarily for the purpose of improving the breed. Litters will be conscientiously planned after careful consideration of the breed standard, using healthy adults of sound temperament and conformation and free from any serious hereditary defects and breed disqualifications and that:
a) all breeding stock be eye-tested under the official KC/BVA Eye Testing scheme no less than once in every three years and hold clear certificates prior to being bred;
b) no bitch should whelp a litter under 18 months of age;
c) a bitch should not have more than one litter in any year;
d) a bitch should not be bred from at consecutive seasons;
e) a bitch should not be bred from after her seventh birthday.
16) Thoughtful consideration and discretion will be given to the use of each stud dog, breeding him only to quality bitches free from hereditary defects and breed disqualifications. No stud services should be provided to underage bitches and the original (not a photocopy) registration certificate should be requested and viewed before the mating takes place.
17) No member will sell a dog or supply stud services to a pet shop or wholesaler, nor to a person he knows will sell or had sold to a pet shop or wholesaler and when selling overseas do everything possible to ensure that the home is suitable for a flat faced breed and that the people buying the stock are genuine dog lovers.
18) No member will malign competitors by making malicious criticism regarding anothers dog.
19) No member will make statements about his/her dogs which are false or misleading nor will he/she misrepresent stock to prospective buyers. The seller will put any guarantee in writing.
20) Each puppy must be completely weaned for at least three weeks and should not be younger than 10 weeks when sold or released to a new home and will have had proper inoculations for his/her age. A diet sheet will be provided at the time of sale.
21) The seller will furnish the buyer with a three generation pedigree and relevant Kennel Club papers unless there is a written agreement stating the buyer is not to receive papers.
22) Each member will be responsible for the welfare of every dog he/she breeds, sells or places. This means following up on each dog to be sure the owners are happy with the dog and the dog has adjusted well to his new home. This also means having an understanding with the new owner that at any time in the future if the owner is unable to keep the dog, the owner is to contact the seller and the seller will have the opportunity to either take the dog back or find it a new home.
23) No Griffon should be exported to the Middle or Far East and any person doing so shall not be accepted for membership of the Club and any member who exports a Griffon to such areas will be deemed in breach of the Code of Ethics. No Griffon should be knowingly sold for onward sale to such areas, nor sold to dealers and/or pet shops.